Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Lunar Fly

I had to look back at previous blogs to figure out how long it had been since I purchased new running shoes.  It was December of 2008, as seen in a post called New Gear.  Wow.  That was back when I first bought into the theory that buying two pair of shoes and rotating them would last longer than if you were to buy two pair of shoes back to back.  The reason for this is supposedly that while the shoe is on rotation you are crunching the cushioning and by rotating off of that shoe it gives the cushioning time to come back before rotating back on, thus lengthening the life of the shoes.  I tested that theory out and not only liked it but I've decided to keep up that routine with my next rotation of shoes.  Granted my last shoes should not have lasted me almost two years.  The truth is that although I've gone through periods of time when I was really pounding out pavement and tallying up many miles on my shoes, there have also been quite a few times when my running has been almost nonexistent; because of those times, my shoes lasted this long.

Back in 2008 I took a leap to buy the crazy looking Lunar Trainers and I absolutely loved them.  They were great shoes, although with the color scheme used for the shoes, a blind man could see me coming from about 4 miles away.  Unfortunately Nike stopped making the Lunar Trainer not long after I first bought them, so I had no choice but to switch it up.  Luckily though, they didn't totally depart from the technology used on the shoes.  They now have an entire line of Lunar series shoes.  I checked out a few of them, as well as some Asics and Saucony running shoes. There was no comparison; the others were definitely good shoes, but the Lunar series is still, by far, my favorite.  This time I decided on the Lunar Fly.  It's a great, snug fitting shoe, that holds the foot much more tightly than it's predecessor that I was so used to, however it retains the super light feel that I really enjoyed.  I cant wait to start putting in some real miles with them.  My half marathon training starts tomorrow and I'm totally stoked. 

Without any further ado, here are some pics of the shoes, both old and new.

My old Lunar Trainers (which are being set aside for next year's Mud Run).


My new Lunar Flys.  Two colors: Black and Blue, Blue and Yellow (had to get one with the bright yellow again. lol)





No comments:

Post a Comment