Thursday, October 4, 2012

Presidential Debate 2012

To be totally honest I have really mixed feelings when it comes to political races.  I really do have an interest and like follow the candidates, their positions and how they stack up against the other side.  What I don't like is all of the negativity and hate.  In talking to friends, following the social media, or even follow the traditional news outlets, it is quite astonishing how much time people spend (and waste) bashing "the other guy" instead of focusing on the positive attributes of their own candidate.  I'm really sick of hearing all of the bashing on both sides.  I don't want to choose a candidate based on what the other guy lacks; I want to support my candidate because of what he/she brings to the table.  Maybe that's just me, but I focus on the positives.

I'm actually in an enviable position that I like being in.  For once, I do really like both candidates.  In the past, my votes have been pretty clear... and it's not what you may assume.  It's not that I always vote with one party.  In fact, I have always vote a split ticket based on who I feel is best for each individual position and it just so happens that my previous presidential votes have been split amongst the two parties.  As I mentioned, this year I am in an interesting position in that I do like both candidates.  Neither is perfect; they both have their faults, but at the core I do like a lot about both of them.  That being said, prior to the Presidential Debate last night in Colorado I had already come to the conclusion that what Mitt Romney brings to the table what I feel is best for the country at this point in time.  There is so much to admire about what both President Obama and Governor Romney want to accomplish, yet when Mitt talks about his deficit reduction plans.... I actually believe what he has to say.  That is a major issue to me and one that we need action on immediately.  There are other issues of interest (and this post could be quite long if I listed them out) but this is one will suffice to differentiate the candidate and is honestly an issue that rises to the top in my eyes. In addition, it serves as one issue that the President has failed to come through on promises made four years ago.

Last night I recorded the debate and after the kids went to bed I gave it my full attention.  I went in with an open mind and left feeling that my previous inclinations to support Governor Romney were warranted.  I thought both candidates performed well but that Mitt really hit the issues well and actually answered the questions that were posed.  To be fair to both gentlemen, I did like the fact that both candidates were pretty good about answering questions rather than avoiding what was actually posed to them.  In past elections that was a real distraction to me and a turnoff for candidates that would not provide concrete answers.  Kudos to Mitt and Barack for giving real answers that defined their campaigns and how they differ from one another!

After all was said and done, I have to give not only the edge during the debate to Mitt, but I also have to solidify my previous decision to support him in this election.  I'm quite happy to be in that middle, grey area, that "moderate" group of swing voters.  A large percentage of voters know well before the candidates are selected that they'll be voting for the party they always have (and probably always will).  I'm quite happy to say that I'm not in that large percentage.  Instead of watching a campaign develop in hopes of people joining my cause, I am watching and deciding which cause(s) and which candidate(s) I'll be backing.  After last night's debate solidified my choice, I'm happy to say that I support Mitt Romney to be the next president of the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment