Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Fitness Challenge - Results

The races this morning went well.

Stacy enjoyed hanging with us and cheered us all on. She had a good morning.

Alex was in the 6 and under race (1/4 mile). He ran/walked it and enjoyed it. The field events after the race appeared to be his favorite part.

Jackson was in the 7-9 year old race (1/2 mile). He started out very slow. I didn't realize at the time that he was pacing himself, but it was evident during the second lap. He went from near the back to bust through the crowd and ended up finishing in third place. He is very fast. Oh, and he also really enjoyed the field events.

My race offered a few challenges. First off, let me say that Ben Lipen ran a well organized event. That being said, they used Strictly Running for their timing and such and that was NOT done well. Not only were all the times for the 5K reported incorrectly, but the course was not set. Those of us in the front group (top 15 or 20 people) ran too far. There is one point that the route doubles back on itself and the dude on the bike that tells you where to turn around was in the wrong place. After a group of us went too far, he realized it and cut the course back off to it's regular length for the rest of the group. What a SNAFU. In the end, the extra distance turned my 3.1 mile race into a 3.31 mile race (proved by my GPS watch). No biggie, but it did effect my goals.

Ok. Enough rambling. How did I do? Well, I didn't finish in 21:41, but my course was longer so that worked out ok. I finished in 22:50.... which comes out to a 6:54 mile pace! Awesome! Not only that, but when it came time to award the age group awards, I was happy to find out that I WON the 30-35 males division! Double Awesome!!

Success!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment