Sunday, July 19, 2009

Life Lessons

After having such a wonderful high from the anticipation of my new job and the announcement of my promotion last week, we hit a new low today. Well, actually late last night and dealing with that low today we've run into many life lessons. What am I talking about?

24 hours ago all was fine. We had experienced a good day; Stacy had a nice long run, we got some work done around the house and started a family movie marathon (Harry Potter, the plan was to do all the movies this week). During family movie night, we decided to watch in the bed and even let the dogs on the foot of the bed while we watched. In retrospect, I was glad we did. That was the last quality time we had with Athena.

She was fine after dinner. Later that night wasn't doing well and before the night was over, she was gone. It's hard to believe. Athena suffered from the same thing Marley did from Marley in Me: basically the Bloat. Enough about that.

2 of the Life lessons...

(1) Dealing with death. Death is hard enough to deal with, but seeing a child deal with it is another story all together. Jackson is taking it hard. We tried to have a fun day and both the boys enjoyed the fun stuff, but any time there is quiet time, Jackson is upset again. It's understandable, but it breaks my heart.

(2) It's ok to cry. This morning we were all upset. Hours later, out of nowhere Jackson told me that today was the first time he saw me cry. I think that was very important. I want him to know that it's ok to cry, even "tough guys" as he sees me to be. That was very important.

Ok, let's move on. Athena. We loved and love her. Here are some great pics of her over time; from baby Jackson dropping scraps for her to the recent gray bearded Athena.

























1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss. My eyes are filled with tears after reading this and seeing all the adorable pics of Athena. I know she will be missed for years to come. My thoughts are with you guys.

    ReplyDelete