Sunday, June 22, 2008

I am not a Reader

I enjoy a good story as much as anyone. However, I definitely prefer that story shown on the big screen over the exact same story told on the printed page. I've always laughed a chuckle of misunderstanding upon hearing someone having the opposite inclination. I guess I'm just not a reader. It's not that I don’t enjoy reading. I think more than anything, it's that I am an unbelievably slow reader. So if I intend to finish a book, I have to make the time to actually sit down and read it. Otherwise, I read 15 pages and put it down, pick it up the next week or the week after and read 10 more pages, and repeat this process until I either finish the book or have forgotten how the story originally begun so I put it down never to be finished. I have always wished that I could sit down and enjoy a good book, but it has never been my thing. "It's not my bag baby."
I tend to spend countless hours watching movies that I've either rented or stumbled upon while surfing the tube. I like a good movie. What can I say?
A few weeks back Stacy told me that she read the scariest book that she had ever read. I have an affinity for a good horror flick and thought that a book along those same lines may keep my attention enough to make me read it cover to cover. The book was Scott Smith's The Ruins, which had also recently been released in movie form. hmmm, this could be the first movie that I see after having read the book. I figured it would be worth a shot.
I picked the book up and was sucked in from the very first page. I can’t say that I read it in a day, but I can say that one week later I was finished with it and loved it. As a side note, I've yet to see the movie, but I do look forward to it. Maybe I'll thoroughly enjoy it or maybe I'll be "that guy" that can’t seem to enjoy the movie due to the director just not sticking to the book. I hope I'll enjoy it, as I did the book but we will see.
Since I enjoyed a horror themed book so much, when it came time to pack for vacation I decided to give it another shot; another book with a theme of horror. Years ago I had read and enjoyed a book by Dean Koontz, so I thought I see what he had out. I picked up two. I know, I know. Two books is a large step for someone who is "not a reader", but I would rather have too much than not enough.
Yesterday we started the day off very early with run and with many hours ahead of me on this first full day of vacation, I figured I'd get started. I grabbed The Taken, a book supposedly about the last day of life on Earth, a book about a storm that was the beginning of the end of us, a book that I was very impressed with. If you read that closely, you noticed that I used the word "was". I was impressed. That's right; I read the entire book in a day and a half. I tell you what; for person who is not a reader, I sure am enjoying reading for once in my life. I doubt reading will ever replace my love of a good movie, but I am happy to have expanded my interests to books as well.
Tomorrow, if not this afternoon, I’ll pick up the other Koontz book and see what I think of his next story. I hope this one is as good as the last. If it is and I continue, I may even begin considering my self a reader…

No comments:

Post a Comment