Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Pawley's Rocked

It's now the Monday after vacation and although we are back in the real world I feel great. Vacation was just what I needed. I'm fully rested and ready to get back to the grind.

We spent many fun-filled hours on the beach. It was been a mix of showing off our fisbee skills in and out of the water, tossing the pig skin around, playing the golf ball game, swimming, body surfing, digging holes for the kids, chilling in a lounge chair while listening to the latest music on our iPods, reading, and eating...dont forget eating.

Last year Jackson was able to throw the frisbee somewhat well but Alex could not make himself use the frisbee form. He was trying to throw it as he would a baseball. This year, however, they both rocked at frisbee. Not only would they throw with me, but with one another as well. It was awesome to watch. They both loved the golf game as well, which was a make shift game which consisted of two people rolling golf balls toward 2 holes dug into the sand about 30 feet apart. Each one made was a point. We'd play to 11. It was more difficult than one would assume due to the slope and variances of the sand. It was fun and the boys were very good at it.

Most of our meals were eaten in the beach house. Stacy's mom cooked and every meal was excellent. We also went out for 2 dinners. On of those dinners was at the Island Deli and was to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary. The other meal was our last night there and we enjoyed seafood at Hanser House. Although we had been to and enjoyed the Island Deli previously, that meal was my first at Hanser House, but it will not be our last. It was great. All of the eating took it's toll on me though. By the time we returned I had gained 8 lbs. Just think what the weight gain would have been had I not run every day....ugh.

By the end of the week, we were worn out. It was a fun week, but the sun and fun took it's toll. We returned to Columbia on Saturday, which was gave us a day to settle in before heading back to work.


As a follow-up to my other two beach posts, I continued to run and read.

With the exception of my rest day on Friday I ran every day. In total, during my 8 days at the beach I tallied mileage near that of a marathon. It was great. One day I intend to run a marathon. For now, I'll accept that mileage split into 7 separate runs.

I finished one more book while at the beach. That is lie; I finished it while on the ride home. It was, as I've mentioned before, another book by Dean Koontz. The novel was entitled Twilight Eyes and was about a man that has a sixth sense which allows him to see goblins inside of people and he takes it upon himself to hunt down these goblin people. Sounds weird I'm sure, but it was a really good book. It, like the other two books I mentioned (The Ruins, and The Taken), have an aura of impending doom. I have no idea why, but I love this kind of book. I wont tell you any more about Twilight Eyes, but will say that if you're into this type of book, then pick it up. It's worth the time.
I just started another Koontz book entitled the Husband, which is not science fiction as the others were, but since he grabbed my attention with the other novels I thought I'd give this one a shot as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment