Friday, June 20, 2008

Vaction is hours away

This afternoon we are heading to Pawley's Island for a family vacation. We've been looking forward to it for weeks. It's been years since we went to Pawley's during the summer. We typically go to Pawley's with Stacy's parents early in the year, during the kids spring break (in either March or April...and it's quite chilly) and then go back to Myrtle Beach for a few days during the summer with my parents. Last year, both trips left much to be desired.

Last Year's Pawley's trip (the arctic chill):
The week before last year's Pawley's trip I was watching the weather and it was very warm. However, a cold front moved in the night we got there. We had a half of one warm day, then it was freezing for the rest of the week. We laid our beach chairs out behind the groins. The rocks provided just enough of a barrier that the cold wind didn't force us back up to the beach house. Of course, I am stubborn, so I was sitting out there with my bathing suit on, shirtless, freezing my butt off (especially after a few quick dips in the ocean with the boys). Who cares if you are covered in chill bumps; you're at the beach! You have to get in!
The point is that it was cold. I'm looking forward to this year's trip being in June.

Last Year's Myrtle Beach Trip (the attack of rabid umbrella):
Our second beach trip of the year, we visited North Myrtle Beach. We arrived on Saturday and were staying through Wednesday, I believe. On Saturday afternoon we were able to enjoy the beach a little and it was a good thing that we did because the coming days would turn out to be less than the perfect beach trip to say the least. It wasn't cold as Pawley's had been. It was actually beautiful weather, but it was quite windy. We got up early on Sunday morning to a somewhat empty beach at low tide, a sunny sky and a nice breeze to keep us cool. It was going to be a great day. Shortly after that we had claimed our plot of land on the ever shrinking sands of North Myrtle. The day started off well and progressed up until the point that the boys were getting tired. I decided that I'd be the one to take them up to the room for rest time. At this point, the sun shining down on us, but we remained somewhat cool due to the ever increasing winds. I grabbed the boys from the ocean and turned turned to face the hotel and told Stacy and my parents that we were headed up for rest time. I had a child on each side of me and turned to watch away, but before I took another step I felt the brunt force of what, for that second felt like someone ran into me full force running a receiver's route in hopes of catching the long bomb in a game of flag football, but in reality was the dagger end of beach umbrella being impaled into my arm. The strength of the winds had continually increased to point that one of the large beach umbrellas was literally yanked from the sand and tumbled canopy over tip numerous times, over a distance of about 20 yards before finding a temporary resting place in my arm. It happened so fast that I hardly knew what happened. I was in shock as I looked down and saw the gaping, 2 inch deep hole in my arm as the sharpened end withdrew itself and continued to tumble down the beach. Stacy screamed, "Oh My God!". My mom chimed in as well. The boys looked scared to death, but watched in amazement. My dad put his hand over the wound to hold it shut. The entire population of the beach imploded on us to see what was going on, as if they just heard that a fisherman had hauled in Jaws. The life guards came running. The ambulance was called. Some drunk guy gave us his medical opinion (this is true and it did give the situation a little comic relief). I was rushed to the front of the hotel. Meanwhile I was still in shock. The ambulance arrives and I get inside and answer an endless stream of questions; everything from my name, to what happened, to my insurance information (cant forget that). We get to the hospital and I'm asked all of the same questions yet again. While waiting on the doctor, I hear of 2 other umbrealla related injuries....that happened in front of the same hotel! Anyway, in an attempt to make a long story somewhat shorter, I ended up getting my arm cleaned up and then stitched up the following day, with instructions to stay out of the water. Ugh, so much for the fun beach trip.
In the end, the boys still enjoyed their time on the beach, but as I said before, this beach trip was less than perfect. Since then, my arm has healed and there are no lasting effects, besides the scar that my kids see as being totally cool.
What about the infamous umbrella? Well, I've heard rumors that it is to appear in the long awaited sequel to Gladiator. I'm sure that it will be the weapon of choice among the gladiators. They'll be like a mix of Maximus Meridius and Mary Poppins.

This year's trip:
This is a new year. It's going to be a fun year for vacations. The boys are 4 and 5; fun ages for the beach. We're going to Pawley's on the first day of Summer; a time when it's actually warm. Pawley's has no beach umbrellas! We're taking a volleyball net, some nerf rocket toys, buckets, shovels, chairs, golf clubs, bocce ball, lots of sunscreen and a huge appetite. It should be a blast. I've looked ahead and the weather projections have dropped from the high 90s and 100s of last week, to high 80s this coming week. It should be perfect. Of course any warm day with nobody being impaled by a beach umbrella could be considered perfect when compared to last year!
Stacy and I cant wait. Not to mention the fact that the kids have asked "how many days now, Dad?" every day for about the past 2 weeks. Today I get to answer "zeros days. we're going right now!" They will be so excited. We did all of our packing over the last 2 days. We just have to swing by the house and pick up 2 things and we're off. I'm sure the trip down will consist of the kids watching a movie in the truck and them babbling on and on about how much fun we're going to have, and reminding me to watch out for Umbrellas as they have numerous times over the last 11 months. Then the fun begins! We cant wait!

We also have a lake vacation planned, but more about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment