Sunday, November 16, 2008

High School Football

Last night we bundled the boys up to go see a high school football game. Their uncle Matthew is the defensive line coach at Ninety Six High School, so we try to get to as many games as we can. The second round playoff game was scheduled for Friday night, but due to massive amounts of rain many games around the state, including this one, were postponed until Saturday night.

The game was not unlike many games I've been to. There were high points, low points, bad and missed calls, fans irate at the refs, big plays, and blown possible big plays for both teams. I was impressed with the energy that Ninety Six came out with;scoring first and causing 2 turnovers in the first quarter. Unfortunately they were unable to capitalize on the turnovers. That would have been nice. After the excitement of the opening quarter, Chesterfield slowly pulled away throughout the game. I was impressed with the efforts of both teams.

A few items of note:
(1) I tend to see myself as a voice of reason. Nearly every game you go to, you will hear fans fussing about calls that the refs make and more importantly calls that they miss. Although I'm watching the same game the irate fan is watching, I quite often disagree with them. I lost count many years ago how many times I heard "Ref! That was a block in the back!!!", to which I would think to myself, "no, his head was in front of our player" or something along those lines. Anyway, you get my point. I try to call it like I see it and not call it in such a way as to help my team. Because of that, I think that most games that I hear people bashing the refs is really an overemphasis on one or two bad or missed calls. That was not the case last night. Linemen get away with too much holding. That was taken to the next level last night. Even more surprising, the receivers (whom rarely get away with much holding) were exercising such blatant holding that I was shocked at the "no calls". The wide receivers holding sprung so many long plays that it really did make a difference in the game. I was really disappointed in competency of those referees. I expect I higher degree of accuracy, especially during a playoff match up. That being said, even if those plays had been called back, Chesterfield was a good enough team that they would have went on to win anyway, however it would have been a much closer game.
(2) It was obvious that Chesterfield knew who our two college prospect linemen were an that their game plan was to cut and chop block those two throughout the entire game. They executed that plan well....but it was a bit excessive, even doing so during extra points and by the way, the illegal chop blocks were not called even once. Refer back to # 1. I expect more.
(3) Chesterfield has a few large linemen, but most of their team appeared very small to me....small and fast. I was very impressed with their speed, quickness, and agility. I will not be surprised if they continue to roll and win the next two week to take the Class A state title.
(4) After a disappointing season last season under a new head coach, Ninety Six really rose to the occasion this season (once again under direction of a new head coach. Ninety Six has been surrounded by a cloud of controversy for the past 18 months in terms of coaching. It was nice to see that cloud clear. After all was said and done, it is obvious that Ninety Six has found it's right fit in a very competent and inspiring coach. Congrats to Ninety Six for doing that. I see great things in the near future for all those involved.

Ending on a light note, my kids had a great time at the game; watching football, making multiple trips to the concession stand for candy, cheering and looking forward to their highlight of the night..... their race after the game. Once the games are over, we always walk down to talk to the team. This gives Jackson and Alex the perfect opportunity to run and play and get very dirty. Sounds like fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment