Thursday, November 20, 2008

Quality Makes a Difference

If you are in the market for a new vehicle, you may expect that an investment in a higher end vehicle buys you a higher degree of quality. Likewise, if you need professional work done on your home, you would assume that paying a little more would help you sleep a little better at night knowing that the work was done right. In most cases quality costs. Usually higher cost = higher quality. Although that is true for the big things, I think I sometimes want to assume it doesn't apply to the "little" things.

Case in point: my running shoes. No, I don't buy cheapo shoes. I do invest in decent shoes because I know that when you put a lot of miles on a pair of shoes, the better shoes hold up longer. However, taking it one step further, the padded inserts of the shoes are just padding....right?

After having put quite a few miles on my running shoes, the orthodic inserts that the orthopedist gave me (when I had hip/knee issues a few months back) have reached the end of their life span. I've literally run holes into the part under the toes, so I figured I'd pick up a new pair. Rather than looking for a nice set (it's just a set of inserts after all), I decided to just pick up a pair of get inserts.

I got home and pulled out the old inserts, which have built in heel and arch supports in addition to extra padding, and put in the flimsy gel inserts. Whoa... It took me a total of about 60 seconds to realize the gel ones were total crap. More comfortable than the standard insert that comes with your shoes? Sure, but still crap. There is no doubt that they felt less comfortable, less stable and that they I'd be setting myself up for the possibility of more hip and knee problems. As crazy as it sounds, now I'm in the market for a nice set of inserts. I'll probably call the orthopedist and get their recommendation.

I know this sounds crazy for something as small as inserts for your shoes, but there is no doubt in my mind that the quality of that one small item makes one hell of a difference and considering how much I run (and love to run) that is one item than I'm not willing to take a risk on.

2 comments:

  1. My podiatrist recommended I use Spenco brand Orthotic Arch Supports, and I LOVE them. GB Shoe Warehouse carries them and they're about $20. There are several different styles so be careful when checking them out. I was advised to get the ones that have a firm shape to them (you can heat them up and mold them to fit the exact shape of your foot if needed). When I had plantar fasciitis they were lifesavers. Just my 2 cents worth. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I'll check those out. I'm also glad to know that I'm not the only one that thinks the inserts make a HUGE difference.

    ReplyDelete