Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Rankings Tighten

I posted a few months ago about Championship Division football rankings (formerly 1AA). In that post I mentioned that the Southern Conference was extremely strong, or at least it was supposed to be. The week prior to conference play began, we had 6 teams in the top 25. Of course once conference play arrived, we beat each other up so badly that the rankings have been pretty fluid. Only App St was remained in the top 3 all year. I had basically written off my former team, Furman Paladins, after they dropped a second big conference loss. Turnovers in our App St and Elon match-ups blew the games for us. I assumed it was over, but all is not lost. I just looked at the rankings tonight and much to my surprise, we are back... or at least we were. That ranking was prior to our loss yesterday to Georgia Southern. We play our last regular season game next weekend in Spartanburg versus a top10 opponent (Wofford). I can only hope that we win and the right teams around the country loose to give us a chance at a playoff birth. I'm not confident in that scenario, but there is hope.

Southern Conference ranked teams as of last week:
# 2 App St
# 9 Wofford
# 11 Elon
# 14 Furman
Georgia Southern (unranked but with votes)

1 comment:

  1. I told you these teams are not ready for the big boys yet.

    ReplyDelete