Saturday, December 20, 2008

Everyone is Running

Lately, the boys have showed interest in our running. They did participate in two kids races last year, but did no preparation prior to the race dates. Both Stacy and I really enjoy running and the boys have taken notice and want to do it too. Last night we discussed doing a short run together. We clocked a short track from our house, around the local park and back to our house. It turns out that the route is just over a half mile.

I had forgotten our planned run, but this morning when Jackson got out of bed he started putting on his clothes...including shoes. I asked why he was putting his shoes on. He said that he was getting ready for our run. Kids don't forget anything you say, so watch out!

We all got ready for the run and the boys both took off too fast. We warned them to slow down and they listened. About .2 mile in Alex was beat and said he needed a rest. I told him to slow down but not to walk. He fussed, but continued. Jackson and Stacy ran a little ahead of us and Jackson really looked like a runner. I was proud. Jackson was cruising and Alex was pushing through.

About .4 mile in, Stacy turned to cheer Alex on, after which he kicked it up a notch. Both Jackson and Alex finished strong and were pumped about it. Then they decided they were going to run some more so they ran laps around the front yard (while Stacy and I took turns going for a short run).

It is awesome that are kids are actually interested in being healthy. We set a good example and they really do want to follow it. It makes me feel good.... about myself, about the example Stacy and I set, and about my boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment