Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Computer Guy

How many of you are "computer people"? What do I mean by that? Trust me; if you are one, you know exactly what I mean. You may have a job that deals with computers; you may just play on them so often that people realize you have a little knowledge of some computer related subject. Either way, once you're dubbed a compute guy (or girl), at that point you become tech support.

Some of my friends and I have discussed this subject on many occasions. It's funny to me because I have been dubbed a computer guy by some. The truth is that although I understand programming and database work, I don't have a clue when it comes to hardware and much third party software, nor do I set up networks or anything of that nature. Yet I am dubbed a computer guy, so I'm asked questions all of the time about how to get around some problem or I'm asked whether I'll take a look at something that is broken. I always agree to take a look and my typical response after "checking it out" is, "I really don't know. You'll have to talk to someone else.". hahah. Of course there are occasions that I can offer some assistance but in reality those instances are few and far between.

The truth is that a computer is not a single all encompassing subject. In much the same way that I can't profess to be a car expert just because I can change the oil or rotate the tires, I also can't profess to be a computer guru just by knowing what I currently know. It's funny how people realize that fact when it comes to vehicles but it does not even occur to them in regards to computers.

I stumbled onto a cartoon on the web today that I thought was perfect for this post. Check it out: Very funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment