Thursday, January 8, 2009

Florida Wins!...They're the Champs*

I'm excited. I was cheering for Florida to win it all. I even predicted them to win by 10. If only I was always so smart. :-)
So Florida wins the National Championship...but I am one of "those people". The ones that think it's tainted, that thinks there should be a playoff, that thinks the national champions title has an Astrix. In every other collegiate sport, and every other collegiate football division have playoffs. Why not have Florida win their championship just like teams from every other sport/division? I just dont get it.
Well, I get it if you are a major sponsor of a bowl. You have much money to make. However, if you're not a sponsor, why would anyone favor a bowl system over a playoff system?
Every year there are controversies. This year, it's Utah (or possibly even USC). Without a doubt, Utah proved they deserve a national stage and a shot at the title...but in our current system, they'll never get a shot. It's ridiculous.
I've heard the argument that academically, playoffs would hurt the athletes because it would take too much time. Tell that to the football players in Division III, Division II, and even Division I Playoff Subdivision. I was one of those players and let me tell you, it's no more difficult to juggle academics and athletics in the post season that it is in the regular season.
I've also heard the argument that it is great for these middle tier teams to go out on a winning note. What?! Who really gives a flying rats ass? If you just want to have a feel good ending for a lot of teams, why not have every team play one more game at season's end (a bowl game if you will)...half would go out on a winning note... oh, and by the way, we'd still not know who was the best.
I just dont get it. Perhaps you can enlighten me. Or perhaps you agree with me somewhat. Feel free to pitch your position if you have one...or just listen to me rant.

Congrats to Florida. I'm happy the won....but I have to include the Astrix when I say, "congrats to Florida, the National Champions*".

No comments:

Post a Comment