Thursday, January 1, 2009

What to Expect in the Year to Come

2008 was a good year for me. Sure, the economy tanked and my 401k lost about 1/3 but besides that fact, 2008 was a very good year from my perspective.

Looking back I saw a lot happen last year.

Jackson made the transition from kindergarten to first grade and with that transition I saw him change from a child that was in class because he had to be to one that enjoyed learning. I'm most impressed by his reading, which has progressed by leaps and bounds. Meanwhile he has turned into quite the little athlete. We've always played sports at home, but he has really become interested in everything sports. In fact he is in his first organized league right now (Upward Basketball) and is doing wonderfully. I'm so proud of how he's progressed both academically and athletically in the past year.

Alex, who used to be Jackson's little brother has really blossomed into his own person. He is one of the coolest kids at the daycare. Everybody loves Alex. Meanwhile, his thirst for learning far exceeds his brother's at that age. In fact, one of Alex's highlights of each night is to watch Jackson do his homework (and to try to do it himself). I'm very proud of both of them.

Also during 2008 Stacy and I both made advancement in our jobs and are very happy with how that is progressing. We are in a good place professionally and as everyone knows, when things are going well at work it spills into the rest of your life. While improving professionally, we also both improved ourselves physically. We both lost a lot of weight last year to become much more healthy. Meanwhile, we became running enthusiasts this year. We had both run in the past, but we were not devoted to it as we are now. It seems that we're really on the right track and it all started in 2008.

In addition to our personal lives, our family really had much interest in the presidential race of the past year and we couldn't be happier with the result. I truly believe as a nation, we made the best choice and will be in good hands in the foreseeable future, and as we all know that is very important with the mess that our economy is in.

As I said before, 2008 was a good year. What can we expect for 2009?

I hope that both Jackson and Alex continue to progress and excel. I can't wait to see how far they've come by this time next year.

I hope that Stacy and continue to thrive professionally and with our pursuits in running. We already have 3 road races scheduled and plan to do about 1 per month. I am excited to see our times get better and better. Not to mention, we both really enjoy running.

Although, not immediately, I do expect the economy to make an upward turn... at least by the second quarter of 2009. I will be happy to see that happen....even if gas prices rise as a consequence. :-)

These are things that I expect. Yet I know that some of the biggest things in our lives each year, we never see coming. I don't know what to expect, but I'm excited to see what happens and will welcome it with open arms.

I'll end this in much the same way I ended my last post. Happy 2009. I really hope that this year will be worse than all those yet to come, yet better than any we've experienced thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment