Saturday, January 3, 2009

Projects Never Go As Planned

Today I had two projects planned and neither went as planned.

I "finished" the concrete job on my porch. I put that in quotes because I hope that was the last of the concrete. If it dried well, I would be done. However, I had not planned on the humidity, and the concrete didn't really dry. On top of that we're expecting rain tonight. That sucks. I'd hate for my effort today to be for nothing. But I'll keep my fingers crossed. If it turns out well, I'll only have to seal it this week. Let's hope it works out.

My next task was to hang a chandelier. We were sick of our light fixture in our entrance way and had our eye on another one at Lowe's. Well, last week we finally bought it. Today was the day to install. We intended it to hang high so the intention was to use only one link in the chain. What should have taken 15 minutes drug on much, much.....much longer. After breaking the ground wire and fumbling around forever with short wires we got the dang thing hung... but there was one problem. It hung too low. So low that our door hit it as the door opened and closed. So we had to "rig" it. Rather than using a link of chain, we rigged a huge nut an bolt to hold it up high. It's definitely a rig job that we'll have to fix later, but it's high enough to let the door open and close and it looks a hell of a lot better than before. Our 15 minute project ended up taking about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Ugh. That sucks, but it's done (for now).

Here is the finished product.




And a close up of the bolt! lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment