Sunday, January 11, 2009

Game # 3

Jackson and the Lions had their third ball game yesterday. It was once again a fun time, highlighted by Jackson's excitement.

They have a really good rotation system, such that the starting lineup rotates each game and kids get equal playing time. Each 18 minute half is split into 3 six minute periods, in between which substitutions occur. So each player can count on being in about 4 of those 6 period. The only way to miss out on time is to commit two fouls in one six minute period.

Jackson didn't start this game, so he had to sit the first 6 minutes and the kids did well... at a controlled pace. At the first substitution Jackson got into the ball game and the level of intensity quadrupled. He immediately got a rebound, bolted down the court and scored. Our other coach looked at me and said, "wow, this is a totally different game now isn't it?". I agreed and was very proud.

Jackson was playing great defense and attempted to block a shot, but committed a foul. Then 3 minutes later he did it again. Although his intensity is usually a good thing... remember the 2 foul rule. He got benched due to that rule. He was heart broken. Luckily he got right back in when the next period started....and he didn't foul anymore. I felt bad for him, but I also thought it was funny that my child is the only one I've seen be benched for that rule this season.

When I awarded the superlative stars for this game, I gave Jackson the best defense award. Regardless of his fouls, he was intense and playing awesome!

I know I rave over Jackson (and will continue to do so), but all of the kids are really improving. It's amazing how far they've come and I can't wait to see how good they are at season's end.

No comments:

Post a Comment