Friday, September 12, 2008

My Favorite Job

I've been a programmer.
I've been an analyst.
I am a database administrator.
I even once sold security systems for about week.
All of these jobs are ok, but in no way compare to my favorite job....being a DAD. My kids mean more to me than anything in my life. I'm sure most parents feel that way, or at least I hope that they do. Being a parent is more than a simple role. It is a full time job. No, this is not a plug for parents to stay home with their kids. That is another discussion. My point is more than the JOB of being a parent is 24-7. Even when I'm fulfilling the duties of my job that provides monetary satisfaction, my other job is number one.
Tonight was a good night. It was a night where I felt like a good dad. Not that I normally feel otherwise, but tonight was a very fun night for my kids. We had originally planned to go to a football game tonight. We all (including Jackson and Alex) love football games. They would have loved to have gone...that is, until Alex received a birthday invitation in the mail. He was invited to a party this afternoon. A few days later, Jackson received another invite for tonight. This was to be a fun night for each of them.
I dropped them both off at their respective parties. When Stacy got home, we went to pick Alex up, grabbed some dinner and went shopping for Halloween costumes. After Alex chose Power Ranger garb and we grabbed Jackson an Ironman outfit (which he requested) we were set. Then we picked Jackson up, they tried on their costumes, and have been partying it up in their room with their birthday party party favors (glow sticks & magic kit).
At the end of the day I looked back and saw that for myself I had done well. I got up early and ran (thanks to Stacy), put in a good 8 hours at work, and am now watching football...but the most important part was making it good day for Jackson and Alex. They had a blast and it makes me happy to see them enjoy themselves so much. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment