Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Basketball

Many of you who know me may see the title of basketball and assume this is about the upcoming NBA season or about some fantasy basketball league that I'm participating in. That is not the case. In fact, this is about Jackson. We recently signed him up for Upwards Basketball, which is basically church league.

We hadn't heard from anyone since he took the skills test. When Stacy contacted them yesterday to make sure he was placed on a team, they said that he was, that the first practice is Monday, and asked if I wanted to help coach. Stacy called to asked me if I was interested, and I told her I'd love to, but I'd rather help the head coach than be the head coach. No biggie, I got the job and was told to pick up the materials the next day after work.

Today I picked up the boys and headed to the church to pick up my packet. We get there, find the right people, pick up the booklet, I get a quick overview and am told everything I need to know is in the booklet and on the accompanying DVD. Excellent. I'm excited and ready to go, however I did notice that when I was told about the team, she mentioned to me that one other dad travels a lot, but when he is in town he will help out.... which translates to me being THE coach, and not a coach. I'm not surprised, but I'm also not prepared. It looks like I have some work to do.

I get to the car and take a quick look at the roster. It has the info on each child...including their scores from the skills test.... ah ah. I see why I was asked to coach. Jackson rocked the test! Good for Jackson... and I hope, it's good for the team. We'll see on Monday how the team looks. I'll keep you informed as to how it's going. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Now, don't you go all crazy and get in fights with other coaches(Dads).

    TT

    ReplyDelete