Monday, October 27, 2008

Upward Basketball

Today was practice number one. I had seven of my eight players to show up for the first practice. My assistant coach is out of town. I did my best to control 7 kindergarten and first graders.... It was somewhat successful.

I read the coaches handbook and though it was ridiculous to think that first graders could do the drills they suggest. In their defense, the book is a generic one for all age groups. Fourth graders may get it....not so much first graders. That being said, we did numerous drills, most of which I just made up on the fly. lol. We filled the hour practicing passing, dribbling, shooting and a few drills that combine those skills. Also, we had devotion (part of being a church league) and team meeting. All of this fit within the allotted hour.

I was concerned before practice, that I'd have a bunch of kids that have never seen a basketball. I was pleasantly surprised. I think we'll have a fun year, and I think I'll actually be able to teach them a little bit!

After practice, Jackson insisted that we stop for a drink. He got a Gatorade and savored it, being the athlete that he is! He also told Stacy that he was the best. lol. It was drills.... he was good, but so were the other kids. I bet they all went home and said, "mom, dad, I was the best". You have to love the confidence of a child!

One practice down. Nine to go. Plus games. I cant wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment