Wednesday, October 8, 2008

kids athletics

I'm loving the fact that my kids are getting into athletics. 2 recent instances...and yes this may sound like braggin, but I'm proud!!!
(1) basketball - Jackson is playing in his first organized sport beginning in December. Last Thursday the kids had a skills test to be used to spread the talent out even among the teams. I was impressed with the way the ran it and if it is any indication of what is to come, I will continue to be impressed. Anyway, the skills test consisted of shots from 3 different places (in front of the basket, and each side), 2 dribbling drills, and a drill to slide side to side.

For the shooting, for each spot they could shoot as many as possible in 30 seconds (or a minute, I really dont know, but it was by time). Some of the kids in front of Jackson in line struggle to make 2 or 3. I assumed he'd do well since we shoot at home. He rocked it. Only missing a total of 5 shots, making 17. I was proud.

For the dribbling they had to dribble around 2 chairs set up about 5 yards apart, and do as many laps as possible. First with right hand only, then left hand only. Jackson is left-handed and was a little concerned about using his right hand. He walked rather than running was under control and did well. I was impressed. Then with his left hand he flew. I was very proud. A few of the other kids did great, but with their non-dominate hand would struggle. I was so proud of Jackson that he could do it with both hands.

The sliding drill consisted of going back and forth as many times as possible under time, simulating defense. He struggled here. He did it like he does in PE, basically skipping sideways instead of sliding. He still did well, but we'll practice this a time or two before the first practice. Anyway, all in all I was extremely impressed.

(2) another kids race - Stacy did a 5k last Saturday and she finished second in her age group again! Go Stacy! After her race they had 2 kids races. Jackson was in the 1/4 mile run for 5 and 6 year olds. He placed second and received a medal! Then Alex ran in the 3 and 4 year old run (1 smaller lap) and he also placed second and received an engraved medal!!! I'm so proud of my boys!

Ok, now out of brag mode. I love the fact that they are getting involved early. I think athletics really helps build character and confidence. It also teaches (with parental help) the kids to deal with successes and failures. Like I said, I love it and hope the my kids stay so excited about participating.

No comments:

Post a Comment