Sunday, October 12, 2008

Proud to be an American

Looking back through recent history, there are so many reasons to be proud of being who we are. The United States plays a major part in much of what transpires around the world. Some think we play too large of a part, and that is definitely a subject for debate, but that is not what this post is about. We are lucky enough to live in (arguably) the most powerful country in the world. I feel a debt of gratitude to God for allowing me to find my place in the world here rather than in some impoverished country, where I may struggle to succeed or even to eat. I feel a debt of gratitude for all those who risk their lives protecting ours. I'm proud to be a part of "America" (and by America I mean the US, not the countries comprising North and South America!).

Also, in the recent "friendly" competition between nations that we know as the Olympics, the United States soared. I don't know anyone that didn't get at least somewhat wrapped up in the dominance of the US swim team, or the big wins by our gymnasts. I felt both excitement and pride anytime any of our athletes won an medal. I think many others shared that sentiment.

Perhaps one of the reasons I am most proud to be an American is our current political situation and the underlying meanings associated with it. Stepping back any number of years, I'd have a hard time seeing this race happen. We are living in a country that has progressed to the point that we have a viable presidential candidate that is a minority. Not only that, but we have come to this point in the presidential race, without the issue of race really coming into the picture. I am proud to be a part of the process, to be here and see it all happen.
I hope that this race is a testament as to how far we have all progressed in terms of our views of race. I guess the months to come will really shed some more light on the subject. Here are a few questions that will help to do that:

(1) Will the presidential race still continue to be about the issues?...or will the McCain campaign find themselves in a position where they feel they need to "pull out all the stops" and introduce the race card?

(2) If Obama wins, will he be celebrated as the candidate who won (while acknowledging his race) or will the big story be "the first black president"? That is definitely A story, but it should not be THE story.

(3) If McCain wins, will the votes be seen as an "us" versus "them", where the white voters had larger number? I'd hate to see a country dived by race.

(4) Will those that focus on the issue on racial inequality admit that through our policies we have achieved much progress?

(5) Regardless of who wins, will many of the supporters of the losing candidate support the new president? To an extent this is not a completely fair question, due to the fact that there are some who never support political figures from the other party.

(6) Basically restating number 4, after the race is over and we have a new president, will we unite behind him regardless of who he is and what party he represents?

I think if you look at these questions and how the answers play out, you'll see where we really stand. I have hope for promising answers. Those that know me best know that one issue that is EXTREMELY important to me is equality. Whether the issue in question is religion, race, gender, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status, I feel that it is very important that we all be treated the same. Call me an idealist if you must, but that is how I feel.
Wrapping up and tying back in to the original topic, I am proud to live in a place where I can witness this race and how it plays out. I just hope it plays in a way that we are all proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment