Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Athletics

A few new things:
(1) I went for a run Monday at lunch. I've adopted the stretch after running approach and it's doing me well. However pre-run, I still spend a few quick seconds making sure I am somewhat loose, with no major tightness. I did a standing hurdle stretch on my left leg and it felt good. Then I moved to my right leg. I lifted my foot, pulled back and felt a snap, crackle and pop! Oh crap. It felt as if I pulled my outer area of my hip-flexor. I was scared I had torn it...stretch of all things. Anyway, it was definitely pulled, but the crackle was somehow good, as if the hip issues I've been experiencing were a displacement of the hit and that crackling was (perhaps) everythig slipping back into place. I tried to run and although I felt the pull, I felt better running than I have in months. It was a bitter-sweet moment. The hip is better, but the muscle is pulled. How weird is that?!
(2) Basketball is over. First round of play-offs. I make opening score of the game with a drive and finger roll...then my scoring stopped. I finished 1 for 4 for the game. Once again, we played well except for scoring...which happens to be the most important part. So it was a fun season, but it's over. Thank God!
(3) Now that basketball is finished, it's time to focus on other things. Those things:
Golf - I want to improve my game. I recently purchased a new set of clubs. I love them. Now I need a game to go along with them!
Softball - I'm coaching the company softball team again this year for our yearly tournament. Practice will start in the next week or two.
Running - I've been a on again, off again runner for a while. I'm ready for a long lasting on again phase, focusing on not only fitness, but lowering my times. The first test is Saturday. Stacy and I are running in the Flying Saucer 5K in Columbia. That will be the race where I set the bar, in hopes to raise it shortly thereafter and often.
Also on the agenda for the near future are the Mud Run in September and a Triathlon....probably early in 2009.
Lots of fun ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment