Saturday, August 23, 2008

Flying Saucer 5K Beer Run

We were able to sleep in a little this morning since the race was not until 9:00 AM.
7:30 - we had some coffee and got ready for the race. We did some stretching and got our iPods ready. I had to use my old iPod video because, strangely enough, my new iPod nano (bought it in January) stopped working on Friday. Crazy timing. Anyway, the old iPod video had a problem with shutting off mid-run, which is why I replaced it and retired it to the docking station (since it had no problems staying on if receiving a charge).
8:15 - left home
8:30 - we arrive, ready to run, get our timing chips, and find out the details. It's a hilly course, both starting and finishing uphill. Water, beer and brats afterward. You heard that right...beer and brats. This was is bound to be a good day.
8:45 - We finish the last minute stretches. I hoped that both, I was well stretched and that my iPod would last the race.
9:05 - the race begins. As I tend to do, I started a bit too fast. It was up hill, so I was passing people like crazy. It was a good felling, but shortly thereafter I realized that I had pushed it a bit too hard. Also, 5 minutes into the race my iPod died on me. Great. I messed with for while, but to no avail. It was shot and as usual, it would not recover until it was plugged back up. I guess it was time for some sefl-motivation. I continued on, but by mid race I was dying. Knowing that my goal was a bit lofty, I accepted that I'd probably fall short. I kept up my pace all the way through the end of the race and strangely enough, nobody passed me in the last mile, nor did I pass anyone. I assumed I would cross the finish line in a miserable time considering how I felt and due to the constant rolling hills, but I really had no idea of my time since the course lacked any sort of mile markings.
Once I reached the finish line, I was quite happy with what I saw. I had felt like crap doing it, but finished only about a minute short of my goal. I averaged 7:23 per mile and although was not within my goal time, I was very pleased. I now have a basis for comparison as I approach future 5Ks.
Shortly after that I met up with Stacy and we enjoyed post run refreshments. Water and a brat for her. Water, followed by beers and brat for me. This was a great idea!
We hung around for the results and rewards at 10:00. It was pretty cool.
As it turns out, Stacy demolished her previous best time and finished in 1st place in her age group and only missed a prize by 2 places since she was the 5th placed woman overall. I was very proud of her accomplishment.
I on the other hand, did not fare so well in my age group. I finished in 17th place over all, but 15th in my age group. Ha! I am in a competitive group! Anyway, I was very happy with my time (22:56) and look forward to the next race.

After the fact:
(1) We took some post-race pictures. See below.
(2) I'm now considering another 5K next Saturday in Chapin.
(3) I took my iPod nano to Best Buy today (since it's covered under the warranty). We were in and out in less than 10 minutes with an exchange. My new one will be ready to go for the next race!



No comments:

Post a Comment