Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympics

I love the Olympics. It really doesn’t matter what sport or event is on.

Back in the day, I played basketball, was a multi-event participant in track and field, and even tried my skills at some beach volleyball, so of course I know what is going on when I watch these sports. The other sports….not so much. That, however, does not take away my enjoyment from watching. After all, I have become quite the critic after hearing the comments made by the know-it-all commentators. By watching, and more so by listening, I feel like an apprentice taken under their wings and I’ve absorbed all the knowledge needed to fully critique any and all sports during the Olympics. For instance, when the women (or for the Chinese, the 12 year old girls) are on the uneven bars, I’m the guy that keenly notices the mistake on that stutter step on their dismount. I’m also the guy that knows when they are tumbling, if one foot ends up out of bounds it’s a .1 point deduction, but if both feet end up out of bounds it’s a 0.3 point deduction. Likewise, I can tell you when synchronized divers are ever so slightly out-of-sync, or when they are just shy of parallel upon entry into the water that will cause a lower score. Paying total attention during every second of coverage has turned me into a know-it-all, thus I am the perfect judge! Dont laugh to hard, because you know you feel the same?!

To be honest, I’ve really enjoyed the coverage thus far. My only complaint is that gymnastics gets a little too much attention in prime time. I’d really like to see a more diverse coverage. It seems that gymnastics and swimming tend to be front and center, while everything else plays second fiddle. At least with swimming, there are different races; a few preliminary races, but that is about all. In gymnastics, you may get see one event…but after you see it 15 times in a row when the USA, China and Russia are all of interest it gets somewhat old. After seeing 14 different guys or girls tumble across the mat, I’m really not all that interested in number 15. Again, it’s not that I do not like the gymnastics coverage, because I do, but I’d really like to see a little more beach volleyball, basketball, weight lifting, and track! I know the coverage will eventually shift to the other sports, but from every Olympics that I can recall from the past, the mix is less than even. Anyway, I’ve digressed into a bit of a rant session.

I cant wait to see USA redeem team smash the competition. Not smash, as in what the French swimmer Alain Bernard and cohorts did to the US men’s 4X100 freestyle relay team, but as in the real definition of the word. As in the second definition brought to us by our friend Webster, "to defeat, disappoint, or disillusion utterly". Hey, I admit it. I'm an American and I like to see us dominate. It's not that I do not like a good race. In fact, I really do and would prefer that every race be close and that every race would end up with us atop the highest platform on the awards podium.

I’m most excited to see some track coverage. The showdown between Wariner and Merritt, 2 USA standouts in the 400 meter is sure to be exciting. That is the biggest race in my mind. Of course who could overlook Tyson Gay’s big day, pitted against the two Jamaicans (Bolt and Powell). Those two races alone have me salivating to see some track and field. Also, we cant forget the relays. Typically they are most exciting races of all. Man, I cant wait for track and field to start!

Oh, and don’t forget, listen to the commentators. Learn the rules. Become a critic. Maybe one day you’ll understand these sports as well as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment