Sunday, August 17, 2008

Dedication or Stupidity?

This afternoon I decided to go for a run. Usually that is not a big deal. However today it looked as if it was about to rain. I could have gone for a short run to avoid getting wet, but of course I didn't take the easy route. I chose to my route that is just short of 4 miles. Well, about 1.5 miles into the run it began sprinkling. I thought to myself, "now this is dedication. I'm not allowing the weather to effect my drive to run!". That sentiment continued...as did the rain. Just before I began the last mile, the sprinkles turned into rain, and seconds later the rain turned into a deluge. It was invigorating, yet annoying (because my shoes were absolutely soaked). Shortly thereafter, the thunder and lightening began chiming in and it became a race to get home. Some places had a little water flowing over the sidewalk. Other places had puddles over my ankles. The feeling of dedication was leaving and a feeling of stupidity was creeping in. Why did I push it to a 4 mile run and chance to storm? Anyway, it was over soon enough, but as I made the last turn toward my house (about a tenth of a mile left) I saw a car pull up to the stop sign. It was Stacy and the boys. The weather was so bad that they had come to pick me up! With the end of the run in site, I only waved and ran to the house. I didn't want to get the interior of the car soaked. I got home and they arrived right after I did. They were all pretty wet too, having run through the downpour to pick me up.
So 2 wet kids, a wet wife, and a drenched self. I felt good having run, but wondered weather it was the best choice to have run that far. Dedication or stupidity? You tell me. My own opinion is that dedication can lead us to do things that are sometimes stupid! It's funny to think of that way, but so true.

2 comments:

  1. I love running in the rain. So much cooler and your sweat is rinsed off. Your chances of being struck by lightning are so small you that if you're worried about that, you probably shouldn't be running anywhere near a road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. I totally agree.

    I actually love running in the rain as well. This, however, was more rain than I have ever run in. It was crazy and I was drenched. Although I would not have gone if I new the thundering and lightening were on the way, when I finished I felt great having done it.

    ReplyDelete