Thursday, August 21, 2008

How many miles from home am I?

What feels better than getting up to go for an early morning run? Dont answer that, and shame on you for thinking what you just did.

This morning, after having stayed up late watching the Olympics, I got up early and hit the pavement for a nice morning run. I had planned to put in my 4.2 mile route. In retrospect, I should have chosen a shorter path.

All went well for about the first 3 miles, but then I got that feeling. Have you ever been out and felt the need to get home ASAP? Yeah; that was me. I think you know what I mean.

A quick look at the road informed me that I had over a mile to go. Meanwhile my body was in disagreement. My mind was telling me that I had better have the speed of the Jamaican sprinter, Usain Bolt, yet my stomach was cordially warned me that I'd better keep this to a snails pace or it would be filing a protest. That, I must say, is an awful feeling.
Anyway, I buckled down and did my best Usain impression. Somehow I dont think I made it look as easy as he does, but I think I would have given him a run for his money in China!
The satisfaction of having actually gotten up early for a run was only outweighed by the satisfaction of having made it back!

PS: If you're totally lost on this on, I was never so excited to see my house, having prairie dogged it all the way home. Dont know what that means? Watch the 2001 remake of Rat Race and wait for Jon Lovitz's character to have Prairie dogging explained to him. Very funny stuff. Although it's only a few seconds long, it's probably one of the funnier parts of the movie. Strangely enough, it's not funny when the jokes on you!

Follow-up: My mind and stomach have worked out an agreement to settle any disputes pre-run from now on. That should keep any mid-run disagreements to a minimum.

2 comments: