Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Obesity - part 2

I had my health assessment. I was very disappointed. Not in my BMI, but in the fact that they decided not to check BMI this year. I was actually quite annoyed. That was the lone reason I signed up to the the assessment. As it stood, they only checked out blood pressure and drew some blood for testing. I was happy that my blood pressure was down, but that did not alleviate my annoyance with the change in procedures. In the past we also had someone running a station that used the electrostatic method (I think that is what the device is called) to give a read out on BMI and body fat.
Upon asking why they were not checking BMI this year, I was told that that was another test that we had to sign up for separately and my company did not sign up for it. What?! So I pursued further and found out that I was one of numerous people that were not happy about this test being left off. I was assured that we'd have it next year.
I have to ask myself why they would have dropped it from our testing.
(1) Was it just an honest mistake? Did they assume that we did not really care about those tests?
(2) Were they looking out for peoples feelings? Not wanting people to feel bad about their weight???
(3) Is it a matter of health care? Is it possible that after 90+ percent (this is a guess) of the people that took the test last year were fell into the category of obese? and that they were somehow required to provide these numbers to our insurance carrier? (Actually we're self-insured so I doubt this.)

To tell you the truth, I think that we often turn our head when confronted with weight issues. If we do not acknowledge the problem, then it must not exists. Or at least that is how I think the issue is perceived.

The truth is that our society has a major issue with weight (and body fat). If we can acknowledge that on an individual basis, then perhaps we can do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment